Failed to convert user vertex id for parameter C

I’m using GraphStudio in the browser to set up a proof of concept. I’ve imported vertices (names of countries), and edges (countries that border other countries).

I can explore the graph and it all seems to be working fine. I’ve created a basic query (see image), but that fails when I run it. In the image I’ve input the string “Egypt”. That exists in my countries vertex. I’ve tried other values and they fail too. I don’t understand the error message, so I’ve cleansed and reimported my countries and borders, removing everything that isn’t an ASCII letter [A-Za-z]. Still the same error message.

Can anyone please shed some light on what’s going on, and maybe suggest a solution? Thanks in advance.

Hi Alun,

Can you remove the double quote, just use Egypt, and retry?

Best,

Renchu

Hi Renchu,

I should have said in my original post that I also tried exactly that. Same error message.

Previously I had the countries stored with IDs consisting of numbers as text (“1”, “2”, etc). I tried “1” and 1, “72”, 72, etc in the value then, and each time it’s the same message.

I just tried it again with Egypt and “Egypt”, same message.

Hi Alun,

Can you try to escape the quote in this case?

Use \”Egypt\” here.

Best,

Renchu

Still the same response :confused:

Hi Alun,

Thanks for the report, we have confirmed this is an issue when the vertex id contains quotes.

We are investigating and will fix it in the next release.

Best,

Renchu

Right, I’ve got this sorted now. The last message was the trick… “when the vertex id contains quotes”. My CSV data do indeed have quotes surrounding each value. These are NOT intended to actually be part of the data, though. TigerGraph’s default in treating these quotes as part of the data rather than enclosing characters is rather unexpected in my view. I’ve attached two screenshots of the data import in case other users encounter the same problem.

Note that opening a CSV in Excel will not show the surrounding each value; to check before upload you need to open in another piece of software, such as a text editor.