How to change Java client timeout?

I have a long-running query that takes more than an hour. While the GPE log shows the query completing successfully, the Java client times out after 60 minutes, giving the following error:

Error forwarding request to GSQL leader!
IOException: Premature end of chunk coded message body: closing chunk expected

Is there a way to extend the amount of time that the client will wait? I’ve already tried to change these settings, but it doesn’t help:

gadmin config set RESTPP.Factory.DefaultQueryTimeoutSec 36000
    gadmin config set GUI.HTTPRequest.TimeoutSec 36000

Thanks!

@dliddell are you executing this via a Shell Session? https://docs.tigergraph.com/tigergraph-server/3.3/gsql-shell/gsql-sessions#_session_timeout

Hi Jon, thanks for taking an interest in my problem!

No, we’re using the remote Java client:

Using a Remote GSQL Client :: Docs (tigergraph.com)

Does it also respect the GSQL_CLIENT_IDLE_TIMEOUT_SEC environment variable?

Dave

@dliddell Always glad to help!

I believe we are talking about the same thing. Can you run the command below to set the timeout to 2 hours? (one hour would be 3600 seconds)

tigergraph@123:~$ export GSQL_CLIENT_IDLE_TIMEOUT_SEC=7200

Then go back into your gsql terminal

tigergraph@123:~$ gsql
Welcome to TigerGraph Developer Edition, free for non-production, research, or educational use.
GSQL-Dev > Session timeout after 7200 seconds idle.

For long running queries, I would recommend using the -async flag. This will mean that you don’t have to worry about any timeouts related to the GSQL client. You can find details here in the docs:

There’s a few different timeouts that might affect your GSQL client. I actually haven’t previously encountered the GSQL_CLIENT_IDLE_TIMEOUT_SEC env var that Jon shared. For modifying the query timeout itself, we also support setting a GSQL-TIMEOUT header and setting the query timeout in the gsql shell. Both of these are described here:

The Nginx configuration template also contains a keepalive timeout that will, I believe, affect the GSQL client for a long running query. You can find details on modifying the Nginx configuration here:

Thanks for the suggestions, Elliot and Jon!

GSQL_CLIENT_IDLE_TIMEOUT_SEC had no effect on the Java client.

I also tried the “set query_timeout” technique, not by typing it into an interactive gsql session but by adding it to my command line (edited down for conciseness):

java -jar gsql_client.jar ‘set query_timeout=36000000 run query myQuery()’

I can see that setting it to a small value, such as 2 seconds, takes effect by timing out early, but with a value above 60 minutes, I’m still getting the original error at 60 minutes.

I would agree that -async would be a more logical approach to a long-running query, as HTTP wasn’t really meant to suspend for such lengths, but that would involve a fair amount of extra work to monitor the backgrounded query from my shell script. I’m hoping to avoid having to do that.

I’ll try the NGINX solution after the holidays.

Thanks again!

Dave