Installing and configuring on a Windows machine

Running Windows 10 Pro I have installed Docker and am going through the setup instructions found here:

Using Windows Powershell I’m trying to run the following command as shown in the video:
chmod 777 shared_data
and get the error:

PS D:\apps\DockerData\data> chmod 777 shared_data
chmod : The term ‘chmod’ is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script file, or operable program. Check
the spelling of the name, or if a path was included, verify that the path is correct and try again.
At line:1 char:1

• chmod 777 shared_data
  •   + CategoryInfo          : ObjectNotFound: (chmod:String) [], CommandNotFoundException
      + FullyQualifiedErrorId : CommandNotFoundException

I guess this is a command for Apple.
Please advise as I was planning on working in TG today and this weekend.

Thanks.

Hi,

The chmod command is indeed not available on Windows systems; it’s a Unix/Linux/macOS shell command.
chmod 777 makes a directory readable, writable and searchable by all users. On Windows you need to change directory access differently. Here is a post on how you can do it:
https://superuser.com/questions/163049/what-is-the-equivalent-of-chmod-777
Have a nice weekend (with TigerGraph)!

1 Like

Thank you. The fog is starting to clear. It would really be helpful to have some tutorials from a windows users perspective. It seems from what I’ve seen the documentation makes a lot of assumptions I have many years of development on the MS stack and am trying to come onboard to TG.

things seem to be up and running now, but I’m sure I’ll have more of these to please be patient with me.

Thanks again!