Understanding the Execution of Distributed Query

Hi, I want to know more about the execution of the distributed query such that I can tell whether I write the gsql queries in the best way. The material I can find is only Distributed Query Mode, but I don’t fully understand these two sentences:

The query executes in parallel across all the machines which have source vertex data for a given hop in the query. That is, each SELECT statement defines a 1-hop traversal from a set of source vertices to a set of target vertices.

E.g., does 1-hop traversal here include both 1-hop query and 1-hop pattern matching? For 1-hop patten matching a -(<link:e)- b that looks for in-neighbors, is a or b considered as the soruce vertex?

Here I want to understand the execution of two queries below, and I am not sure if my understandings (listed below) are correct:

1. Subquery triangle is invoked inside batch_triangle, which is similar to a function is invoked inside another function in programming languages like C/C++, where batch_triangle will finish the current invocation of triangle before it makes the next invocation.
  2. When executing batch_triangle, due to the distributed keyword, TigerGraph launches one query instance of batch_triangle on each machine (supposed replication factor is 1), each instance accesses the local partition of the graph GG, finds the target edges with e.batch_id == batch_id and at the end invokes triangle with each target edge.
  3. For the first select in triangle, the computation of the query instance will not be moved as the instance is running on the machine that stores the vertex a. We get the neighbors of a in the first select.
  4. For the second select in triangle, as it starts from the neighbors of a and these neighbors may be located in different machines, the query instance will create multiple instances where each instance is created on each of the machines who store the neighbors to process the second select. The newly created instances run in parallel and return the result individually. The returned S.size() of the each new instance will be correctly accumulated by the original query instance.
use graph GG;

create query triangle(vertex<node> a, vertex<node> b) for graph GG returns (int) {
    A = {a};

S = select s
        from A:i -(link:e)-> node:s;

S = select s
        from S:s -(link:e)-> node:i
        where i.vid == b.vid;

return S.size();
}

create distributed query batch_triangle(int batch_id) for graph GG {
    ListAccum<vertex<node>> @neighbors;
    SumAccum<INT> @@n_matchings;

start = {node.*};